A triennial event organized by the Ministry of Culture and Communication that attempts to explore contemporary French creation. Three curators, an architect, a giant installation “The White Geology” in the Nave of the Grand Palais and other pieces by major artists in other venues. A curious, sprawling exhibition-cum-festival with the emphasis on the contact of art with various types of public…
Yep, it’s a little difficult to understand exactly what will be going on for La Force de l’Art (the strength of art), and what it’s about as there are different venues, different artists and different styles of work on offer.
For instance, in the Nave of the Grand Palais you’ll see the emblematic creation for the event, “The White Geology“, an entirely white abstract landscape dreamed up by architect / stage designer Philippe Rah.
The rest of the event is built around the concept of “Residents” (artists that will be exposed at the Grand Palais during the whole duration), “Guests” (special one-off events – details here), and – perhaps the most interesting – “Visitors“, well known artists with special creations in various places around the city:
– Daniel Buren, at the Grand Palais
– Gérard Collin Thiébaut, at the Louvre (Transcriptions, puzzle-like works with links to famous painting from the Louvre’s collection)
– Bertrand Lavier at the Eiffel Tower
– Annette Messager, at the Palais de la découverte (an installation with flying planets)
– Orlan, at the Musée Grévin, the Parisian Madame Tussaud’s (and Orlan is the first contemporary artist ever to expose there)
– Pierre et Gilles, at theSaint-Eustache church (their first Virgin & Child, shown in one of the side chapels).
Other linked events are to be held at the Théâtre de Gennevilliers (a play Qu’est-ce-que tu vois? (What do you see?) by Pascal Rambert) and at the Musée d’Art moderne de la Ville de Paris (the exhibition Bernard Lamarche-Vadel critique d’art, from 29th May – 6th September 2009).
More information about La Force de l’Art at the Grand Palais (and elsewhere!) here on the official site.